Thursday 10 December 2020

Statement of intent

 

How do you intend to use the four areas of the media theoretical framework to communicate meaning and meet the requirements of your chosen brief? (approx. 400 words)


Product 1 – documentary 

 

For my opening sequence of a documentary, I plan to use media language to create a technological documentary which will raise awareness about the issues covered, educate and entertain. This will be used to appeal to the target audience of a socially conscious, 16-25, middle to upmarket demographic to hopefully reflect the industry context desired by BBC Three and will be of a subject of great interest to them considering technology is predominantly used by this age bracket. I will need to ensure that my documentary complies to the BBC’s remit which is to inform, educate and entertain and I shall do this by including information and advice about current topics and I will represent my target audience through having a presenter of a similar age and through an interview with a teen influencer which will be of interest to this age group. To add to this, I will also be representing a slightly older demographic through the medical professional and scam victim to ensure that a variety of age groups are represented as well as different genders. Furthermore, I will achieve this through the mise en scene of youthful clothing and props such as mobile phones and other technological devices which will further appeal to my audience. I plan to use appropriate codes and conventions of a documentary such as a wide variety of camera shots, angles and movements as appropriate to a documentary and have various different interviews to cover as many aspects of technology as possible which my audience will be able to relate to. The lighting will be fairly natural to ensure that my documentary looks and feels as realistic as possible, and I will have text appearing when an interviewee states a shocking fact to emphasise what they have said, and this will shock my audience even more. My music choices will also create meaning through reflecting the video being shown, I will mainly have electronic sounding music to mirror the theme of my documentary and it will have an intense tone to demonstrate the seriousness of the issue. I am going to use 3 distinct locations where each interview will take place which will be a hospital, town centre and a scam victim’s home. This will add depth to my documentary and so it feels to the audience as though they are travelling with the presenter to find out more as there will be many shots of each location. I will find inspiration from other documentary programmes shown on BBC Three such as Stacey Dooley and Beauty Laid Bare which have a similar format to my planned documentary as they are on journeys to find out more about their chosen topic and visit many different places. I will also have the BBC Three logo present throughout my whole documentary to make the branding clear.

 

 

 

Product 2 – website    

 

My website will include relevant information linking to my documentary such as facts and advice on the topic. My audio-visual content will be a vlog from a young social media influencer discussing her problematic experiences with social media and how she overcame the issues she faced. It will also include advice which will appeal to the target audience due to their age group as they are the predominant users of technology and many will have faced the issues raised. The influencer will also advise them to view the website for additional information and as well as the documentary to further promote my products. The design of my website will be clear yet eye-catching through the use of colours and I will have interactive sliders and click-throughs to my other pages to keep my target audience engaged as well as images and text having engaging transitions. I will have a home page which will display my documentary, advice about the topic, a section where the audience can get to know their presenter and a section which introduces the vlogger starring in my audio-visual content on my second page. My second page will be titled ‘get involved’ and will display the audio-visual content, advice about the issues the vlogger has raised in her video as well as a competition for the audience to enter to further engage them and share their experiences.

 

 


How do you intend to link your media products to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the digitally convergent nature of your media production (approx. 100 words) 

A media product must have a highly appropriate and consistent brand image across different media forms, a branding which demonstrates and highlights that the documentary and web pages are for the same production company and same intended target audience. Some ways I am going to do this is through the consistent use of the same brand logos and fonts as well as house style. Both my website and documentary will feature the BBC Three logo as well as the production company name. On the website, the audience will be directed straight to my documentary and there will also be audio visual content relating to the topics discussed within my documentary. Furthermore, my documentary will include the website link and the presenter will be holding interview cards with the logo displayed on them to further connect my two products. My website will also include detailed information and advice about the topics discussed in my documentary so that the audience of my documentary can explore the topic in further detail after watching it if they have any questions or queries. The use of social media on my website will demonstrate my knowledge of digital convergence and further appeal to my target audience as they are very active users of social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. My website and documentary will also have very similar fonts and colours used to further interlink them.


1 comment:

  1. Super planning and detail Olivia with effective evaluation of the highly convergent nature of the two productions.

    ReplyDelete

Link to my website

 https://14b24rab.wixsite.com/techno-g-b-u